Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanks.

It's been an incredible year:  the seventh I've spent with my best friend, a permanent (God-willing!) home purchase, the rapid sale of our old place, a pregnancy, completion of the foster parent program, and lots of life lessons from 2 little boys.  As I thanked God for all these obvious blessings, I began to reflect on some of those less apparent blessings I take for granted.



- I am Thankful for God's Word-
I've never ever ever thanked God for the Bible.  It's always something I've had, something that there's 3 or 4 of on the shelf, at any given time.  But I think back through my life, at it's most terrifying moments- dark with depression, heavy with exhaustion… in each of those times I had a completely good, pure, and true source of comfort to turn to.  I had free access to answers untainted by someone's opinion or inability to understand.  I wonder why it takes me so long, sometimes, to run to it.



-I am Thankful for America-
 It seems like it's not very popular right now to be patriotic.  I know there are a unbelievable amount of issues right now with our government (no matter which side you take!).  But even still- we live in a country with unsurpassed medical technology, a country that allows women freedom to leave their homes, to hold jobs, to have opinions and a have a say in things that happen, and a country in which we are free to make choices about how we worship (or whether we worship!) We are blessed to be here.




-I am Thankful for my Hobbies :)
I know that sounds a little strange.  I guess what I mean is that I'm thankful for a healthy outlet when the stress of the day seems overwhelming.  It's SUPER dorky, but there is nothing like creating something useful from a ball of yarn and a hook.  Or a few tubes of paint and a brush.   I remember times in my life when my coping mechanisms were so destructive.  I am so thankful for the ability to do things like crochet and paint and craft.  I'm so thankful for the free minutes I find in waiting rooms or checkout lines- or once the kids go to bed- that I have to pursue these interests.  These are enormous blessings in my life.


-I am Thankful for my Marriage-
 7 years is a long time to be with someone, and there have been some pretty epic difficulties. But I'm so grateful we both wholeheartedly meant "for better or worse"!  I'm thankful for someone who fights the every day fights with me- the kid discipline, the continual home maintenance… and for someone who fights FOR me- for our marriage, for our future, for our spiritual health.

And I'm thankful for someone who's a little bit weird:)




No comments:

Post a Comment